Assistance Available for Members Impacted by Natural Disasters Across the Country
Sadly, many of our members, friends, and loved ones are devastated by natural disasters like Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Maria and wildfires in Montana. We know that recovering from a natural disaster is never easy.
For our Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas members living or traveling in these impacted areas, your BCBSTX Customer Service Representatives are ready to help you:
- Find a doctor or hospital
- Refill a prescription if you have Prime Therapeutics*
- Coordinate or transition your care
- Get a member ID card
Ways to Get Care
When your injury or illness is serious, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital right away. Bring your BCBSTX member ID card along whenever you get care.
If you don't have your ID card, you can either:
- Print a temporary card on Blue Access for MembersSM (BAMSM), or
- Call your plan's Customer Service number. Provide either your Social Security number or your name and date of birth so that our customer advocates can help you.
|HMO Blue Texas||1-877-299-2377|
|Individual and Family Insurance (If you bought your insurance through BCBSTX, and agent or the Health Insurance Marketplace)||1-888-697-0683|
|Medicare Supplement||1-800-654-9390 (TTY/TDD 711)|
|Blue Cross Medicare Advantage Individual Customer Service||1-877-774-8592 (TTY/TDD 711)|
|Blue Cross Medicare Advantage Dual Care (HMO SNP)||1-877-895-6437 (TTY/TDD 711)|
|STAR Kids||1-877-688-1811 (TTY 7-1-1)|
|CHIP and STAR||1-888-657-6061 (TTY 7-1-1)|
|National BlueCard® access||1-800-810-BLUE (2583)|
If you are in an area impacted by Harvey, we are helping by:
- Authorizing up to a 90-day supply of prescription medications for members
- Not requiring pre-authorization or referrals (members’ benefit coverage will apply)
- Allowing claims for an HMO member to receive services out-of-network if necessary, without a referral
- Extending claim filing deadlines for providers
- Working with members to extend premium payment deadlines
Keep in mind, the terms of your coverage still apply. See your plan or call Customer Service for details.
Filling Prescriptions with Prime Therapeutics
For members who have BCBSTX pharmacy benefits administered through Prime Therapeutics, we may be able to help you with your prescription needs by:
- Refilling a prescription early
- Replacing damaged or destroyed medication
- Using an out-of-network pharmacy
- Having your doctor send a prior authorization request
- Getting mail order or specialty drug shipments
* If you do not have pharmacy benefits through BCBSTX, contact us at the phone number provided above.
Standing with Our Members in the Community
BCBSTX and our employees are standing with our members as the Texas Gulf Coast starts its recovery from Hurricane Harvey.
During the first week after Harvey’s landfall, we:
- Donated a total of $1 million to relief efforts: $100,000 to the American Red Cross Hurricane Harvey relief fund; $300,000 to the United Way of Greater Houston, $300,000 to the Greater Houston Community Foundation and $300,000 to Feeding Texas
- Gave T-shirts to the University of Houston basketball team's relief effort
- Identified groups our employees could support with time, items or money
- Sent Community Affairs, Customer Care and Think Blue teams to help our members in Houston and Beaumont
We are helping these groups with Harvey relief:
- Greater Houston Community Foundation
- NRG Volunteering
- Houston Food Bank
- United Way of Greater Houston
- SPCA of Texas
- Houston SPCA
Here's some of what we've done to help our members in Houston and surrounding areas meet their immediate needs:
- Worked with the Houston Health Department to help displaced families through our Caring for Children Foundation-Care Van Program
- Helped identify and meet the medical needs of people impacted by Harvey with our Texas Care Vans and Oklahoma Caring Vans
- Gave high-risk evacuees in the Houston area Tetanus or Tdap vaccines (nearly 500 so far) at no cost, and will be providing flu vaccines in the coming weeks
- Sent our Community Affairs, Think Blue and Customer Care teams to the NRG Center to help evacuees
- Sent our Mobile Assistance Center (MAC) to help find doctors, explain benefits and provide prescription information, while providing free Wi-Fi, TV, and charging stations
- Had our mascot Blue Bear encourage kids at the NRG Center with coloring books and crayons
- Provided recovery relief and support to more than 700 evacuees at the NRG Houston Shelter.
- Distributed hand sanitizer, bags, first aid kits, tissues, bottled water, healthy snacks, etc.
- Packed more than 1,600 bags for the Hurricane Harvey Backpack Supply Drive during the week of Sept. 18-22. The bags will be donated to The Houston Area Urban League, Kids’ Meals, Catholic Charities and the city of Houston.
- Volunteered with the Houston Food Bank, Meals on Wheels and the SPCA.
- Held a teambuilding activity in Corpus Christi to benefit the Coastal Bend Food Bank. The food bank serves 11 counties and 251 agencies in the area. The team packed 216 boxes and 300 pounds of toiletries.
We know our Beaumont members are hurting too. Here's how we're helping:
- Provided more than 300 toothbrush kits, 3,000 bars of soap, 200 face cloths and 100 rolls of deodorant to Beaumont shelters donated by employees
- Provided community and member care support to more than 500 displaced families at the American Red Cross Shelter.
- Provided vaccines, immunizations and other member care support through our mobile teams
Ways to Help
If you want to help those impacted by Hurricane Harvey, here’s a list of local and national organizations looking for volunteers and donations.