Serving Our Members in 2018
A Message from Our President
Feb. 12, 2018
Thank you for choosing Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) and trusting us to provide you and your family health care coverage in 2018.
The health care system is complex. Whether you’re covered through the individual market, a government program or your employer, our priority is to make sure you have the tools and resources to get quality, cost-effective care from your coverage. Below are things we do as a company and what you can do as a member to make the best decisions about your care:
- We offer a suite of digital tools and resources. Provider Finder®, Virtual Visits, Member Rewards and Benefits Value Advisor are available to help you make informed health care choices. Our 24/7 Nurse Line is also available to answer your questions or you can call the Customer Service number on the back of your member ID card.
- We’re partners in covering the costs of care. Learn how your premiums, deductibles, copayments and out-of-pocket maximums work together to pay for the care you and your family need.
- Visit your primary care doctor for routine care. If it's not an emergency — for colds, minor sprains and other minor health issues — you may be able to save money by seeing your regular doctor. If you have a serious injury or illness, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. You don't need a referral.
- Save money by staying in the network. We partner with provider networks and invest in strategic partnerships to make sure you have access to care from doctors, hospitals and other health care professionals. If you see a doctor outside of your network, you may have to pay more for your care.
- Know what's covered. Make sure services or treatments are covered before you schedule them. You may need pre-authorization from BCBSTX before you get certain tests or services.
Having new health care coverage means more than just "having insurance." We’re privileged to stand with you and offer the protection and stability that health care can provide you and your family. We look forward to serving you and finding new ways to make the health care system work better for us all.
Dr. Dan McCoy
President, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas
What's Next: An Update on the Passing of the Tax Reform Bill
Dec. 20, 2017
The House and Senate passed the tax reform bill today, and the president is expected to sign it into law. The bill will end the Affordable Care Act's (ACA) individual mandate starting in 2019. This means individuals won't have to pay a tax penalty if they don't have health care coverage in 2019.
Nothing will change for our customers in 2018. The ACA individual mandate will still be in place for 2018. Customers who signed up for health coverage during open enrollment will be covered starting Jan. 1, 2018.
We believe that everyone should have access to affordable health care coverage. We’ll keep working with lawmakers and regulators on additional reforms to make coverage more affordable and encourage individuals to have continuous health coverage.
Quarterly Drug List Updates for Employer Groups
Jan. 01, 2018
Each quarter, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma prescription drug lists for our group customers are reviewed and updated. Drugs can be added or removed from the lists due to pharmaceutical industry changes and to make sure the medications on the drug list are safe, effective and affordable.
It’s important to note that generic equivalents are available for most medications excluded from a drug list. Members should discuss any medication concerns with their doctor or pharmacist.
First quarter changes for most non-regulated employer group plans go into effect on January 1, 2018. Affected members would have already received a letter detailing the updates.
Changes and effective dates may depend on group funding type (fully insured/self-funded), plan renewals and the specific prescription drug list the group has selected.